Yesterday after work, we went to Kroger to get some groceries. We always get 2 carts. DF will push one with 1 kiddo in her car seat, and I will push the other with the other kiddo in her car seat. Well, we get done and are heading to the car. When I am coming down the cart ramp, there is a car parked in the Handicap space so I have to go around it. Well as I am, there is a GIGANTIC FUCKING CRATER in the parking lot. I couldn't see it because it was behind the handicap space and the front of my cart dips down in this hole and throws Haylie's car seat out of my cart. OH MY GOD.
Thankfully her car seat landed upright first, but then it flipped over and Haylie hit her precious little head on the concrete. I am freaking the fuck out. I pick up her car seat with her still in it. She isn't really bleeding or anything but she definitely has a place on her head and she is SCREAMING.
So I put her in the car while DF put Hannah in the car. We raced to the ER (like a 2 min drive) and took Haylie in. My mom came and sat with Hannah so we could be with Haylie. She got examined, got some x-rays and she is completely fine. Just a bruise and a little scrape. But talk about making me feel terrible, guilty, and like a horrible mother. Not the hospital, they were great, but these are the feelings I am having about myself.
Why did I not see that big ass hole? Why did I let this happen to her? How come I wasn't able to protect my little girl and keep her safe? She is just a baby and depends on us for this, and I let her down. I have been completely sick since this happened and I don't feel much better today. I feel like an awful mother. Plus, my mind keeps replaying the accident in slow motion like every 3 minutes.
Trust me, I am so grateful that she is ok but I cannot get over this. DF and I are going to Kroger today to talk to the manager and see if they are willing to pay her ER bills. We do not want to sue them or anything like that but I do want them to fix the hole so no one else gets hurt, and pay her medical bills. Here are a couple pics of the hole and my poor babies head :*(







Lauren, that's awful! I am so sorry this happened. It's not your fault at all. If anyone is to blame it would be the store. They are responsible for the maintenance of their store and property. And that is NOT a little hole! I can't believe that no one else has ever complained about it to them before.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy that Haylie is ok. She is one tough cookie! Sadly, our babies get hurt sometimes through no fault of our own. As much as we want to protect them always, part of them growing up is learning from mistakes and getting hurt. I know the boys have had tons of bumps and bruises since they've been trying to learn to walk!
Just remember that you are a wonderful mommy and that this was an accident and it wasn't your fault.
That is awful Lauren....did anyone else see the accident? I hope that they are willing to pay her medical bills.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad everything turned out OK.
(((((HUGS)))))
There were other people that saw the accident but we were in sucha hurry to get her to the ER that we didn't stop to talk to anyone or get their information. But I think the whole thing will be on their security cameras
ReplyDeleteAww Lauren you know it's not your fault..but we have talked about stupid mommy moments in email so you know how it goes!! BUT I can definately tell you this is NOT YOUR FAULT girl. I'll email you more! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness Lauren I couldn't imagine how terrified you were,I am so happy your baby is fine.Whew.
ReplyDelete